Stool Softener 2-Year-old
- Causes of hard stool
- Recommended stool softeners
Constipation can be so agonizing for both child and parent. The tantrums, straining, and wailing combined with potty training processes which most toddlers find difficult makes it a tough experience altogether.
It is usually common for parents to look out for stool softener or solutions for toddler constipation. According to the pediatrician in general, If a child poops less than three times a week, or if their stools are tough, large and hard to pass, then it is possible the child is constipated.
Stool softener, 2-year-old: Before discussing stool softener for a two-year-old, it will be relevant to highlight the causes of constipation.
Causes of constipation in two-year-old
- Medication: supplements like high-dose iron supplements, or antibiotics can trigger constipation in little ones.
- Diet: It is common that many toddlers eat diets high in dairy, processed foods and sweet food, low in fiber and does not contain enough liquid. This will inevitably lead to constipation.
- Drinking too much milk and not enough water
- Lack of exercise and activities
- Withholding stool: Your child may be anxious about potty training: This makes your child afraid to use the restroom or do poo thereby worsening constipation.
Treatment/Stool Softener for two-year-old
- Water remains the best choice and a high fiber diet: Ensure your child always have a cup of water available and encourage them to drink regularly. To determine whether your child is drinking enough water check that their urine color is light yellow-if not, assist and encourage them.
- Give your child high-fiber cereals: Whole grain bread and a variety of beans including legumes, like chickpeas and lentils. Kids are often happy to eat trail mix and popcorn (they are good sources of fiber.
- Yogurt contains probiotic can also promote good digestive health.